Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fathers and Sons 2009



All of the Nelson boys (minus Brennan for reasons that will not be explained, but can probably be guessed) went out to the friendly, dusty, bathroomless campsite at the Vernon Beef Ranch in Vernon, UT. Don't know where Vernon is? If you blink you will miss it, kind of like thriving metropolis of Faust, UT.

We had a good time, nobody was seriously hurt and we all survived the night. Dinner was mainly soda, hot dogs, chips, more soda, then burnt marshmallow smores. Then some more soda. Did I mention there weren't any bathrooms at this ranch? Ask my brother-in-law Dave if there were any working toilets . . .

Some highlights of the night -

  • High Council reading poetry for part of the program. Ugh.
  • Kids running, riding their bikes, screaming all over the campsite at 11:30 pm. Needless to say, we didn't get a lot of sleep.
  • Elias burrowing into the Guacamole Cave. He had a green-colored sleeping bag and in the morning we found him curled up in a ball inside the bag, at the very end.
  • Dallin waking up, we think, at 1:30 am and beginning to giggle. This continued for 4 hours. That must have been some dream!
We all had a good time and look forward to next year. Before we go I do need to get one thing off of my chest - Fathers and Sons are for fathers and their SONS. Not their daughters. This isn't a girl activity. Don't bring your daughter, adopt somebody else's son, bring a nephew, come solo. Having girls there changes the dynamics, how am I supposed to teach my boys how to belch properly after good swigs of cream soda and beef jerky? :)

2 comments:

Hello! said...

LOVE IT!
I agree, no girls allowed! We have our own belching to learn without the presence of boys.

Melanie said...

I like that noboday was "seriously" hurt! Too funny! I am not sure what girls are showing up at that thing, but they are out of their minds! You wouldn't find me within a 15 mile radius of a male only campsite! Glad you guys had so much fun:)