Thursday, April 10, 2008
Struggles in the Birdcage
I read an interesting article the other day about Asperger's Syndrome from the perspective of an LDS adult. We know that Brennan has Asperger's and he struggles with it every day in one form or another. Dallin is different, he displays some traits of Asperger's and then there are some things that he does that are completely different. Last Fall, Kathryn and I visited a neurosurgeon at Primary Childrens Hospital to talk about Dallin's condition. We found out that the two halves of the brain are connected by a tissue (I am a web programmer, not a doctor!) that allows interaction between the two halves. Dallin is missing 75% of that tissue- yet he still continues to function! He has such a sweet-loving spirit but there are several things that are so very difficult for him. Brennan wants to do the right thing most of the time and he has a fantastic long-term memory (better than Mom or Dad's) but he struggles too. It is a learning process on all sides as we love both of these boys and they are an important part of our family. Take a look at the article and see if you can learn how to relate to these two wonderful spirits! Click here to read the article.
Posted by Greg Nelson at 9:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Wow!! What a wonderful article about AS. I'm going to print it off. I want to know what I as a grandma need to change to help the boys.
Mom Nelson
Oh my two hug bugs! I had no idea that is what they were diagnosed with. I'm going to read it and have Ben read it too.
P.S. Love the pics of the kids in the previous post. They are such knuckleheads.
Oh how I love these boys!! It is nice to read an article from someone who is experiencing AS first hand and gives me more insight to what Brennan (and possible with Dallin) goes through. Thanks for helping me understand!
Holly
Post a Comment