Monday, December 22, 2008

Twilight - A Guy's Review


Yes - I did the see movie. No - I didn't read the books. Kathryn saw the movie first then read all of the books. I mean, she didn't put the books down for about 2 weeks, I have never seen her digest any series like that before. So after she read the books we went to see the movie for my first time, her second time. It was date night, a Thursday (I work 4 1o's for the state), and there were only 2 other couples in the theater - a far cry from when Kathryn went on opening night a couple of weeks ago.

I went into this movie a little apprehensive, a show that has screaming pre-teen girls can't be all that good for a guy, can it? Horror and thriller movies are not my thing, Kathryn loves them but give me a good Amazing Grace or Dead Poets Society and I am content. I liken this to the Lord of the Rings series when Kathryn went to see them with me. I had read the books several times and knew exactly what was wrong, left out, what should have happened, etc. . . She had never even read The Hobbit (that was corrected this fall as we read it together as a family). So now the shoe is on the other foot. I asked lots of questions during the film and the only time I heard something I really didn't want to know was when she told me why Edward played the piano so well . . .

I liked the movie. I really did. I would go see it again if she wanted to but I don't know how anxious I am to read the books. Here is a list of the things that I liked about the movie -

  • The plot kept pace, there were not really a lot of slow mushy parts, but when there was it came at appropriate times. I don't think it dragged at any point.
  • There was some subtle and dark humor that I really liked. Loved the use of the word "Chillax" which is a reference to a funny little video I have laughed over for a while. The reference to Bella being dinner when they were at Edward's home and Jasper being a new vegetarian was pretty funny.
  • Absolutely stunning scenery and shots, I think that is what made the movie for me. Especially the scene when they are at the very top of the tree after Edward has taken Bella up the mountainside and they were panning across the whole sky and showing the distant river and mountains. Made my bonny feel kind of funny, like when you look over the edge of the building . . .
  • Loved the baseball game, the visuals and sound were amazing during that scene. Same with the ballet hall at the end and James in all of the mirrors. Very good.
  • The anticipation that something was going to happen, and that something has happened before, between Edward and Jacob was nicely done. I guess that will be in the next movie.
OK, now for the stuff I didn't care for -

  • Vampires sparkle in the light? What? THAT was cheesy. Sparkle? Come on!
  • How is any teenage boy ever going to live up to the Edward Cullen image? The guy has super speed, is dashingly handsome, is an incredible athlete (especially in baseball), plays the piano like Beethoven himself, and constantly has the girl of his dreams on his mind. What pimply-faced sophmore has any chance against an Edward Cullen? Heh, good luck fellas!
  • Cedric Diggory, Cedric Diggory. "My boy, my boy is dead!" So, after Cedric dies in Harry Potter he comes back to life as Edward Cullen? :)
  • Edward, you have to get a better car than that, especially when you are roaring up to the rescue in Port Angeles to save Bella. That was a wuss car. Get something cooler.
All in all, I liked the movie. I would recommend it and I would go see it again. Two thumbs up.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Ok, when you come over on Christmas we'll have to discuss this... You, me, Kathryn and Sandy. Maybe Mindy too if she's seen it by then.

Alan said...

Glad to hear that the movie was good from a male perspective. Maybe I will watch it on DVD. I read the first book, but couldn't stomach reading any more of them.

Melanie said...

I love that you enjoyed the movie!! i was holding my breath for alot worse. (and that your positive review may even get alan to watch it!) i am a big fan of the books..and i will say that the "sparkle" scene is much more cool and "manly" in the books than portrayed in the movie where it just looks like they poured glitter glue over him. Boo to the makeup department on that one.